La Casa de Cultura Víctor Romero . Antiguo Convento de los Capuchinos

En Arte
14/04/2021
12 min lectura
Convento de los Capuchinos (Carlos Conesa Alfranca)

Le couvent des Capucins


The Capucin’s House

CULTURAL CENTRE

In the 1750s, the fathers of the Capuchin Order were already looking for a site to found a conventual house in Calanda. At first, they considered occupying the female foundation of the Discalced Carmelites, which Doña Sabina Maura had tried to promote annexed to the church of El Pilar (it would occupy the current space of the parish house and other surrounding areas). On her death, the works were paralysed and the Carmelites never arrived in Calanda.

This interest in this site is logical, as there was a convent half-built with the consequent saving in building costs, as well as being annexed to the Pilar. This would allow the friars to have a prominent temple where they could carry out divine worship, as well as attend to the numerous faithful and pilgrims. For reasons that are still unknown, this location was rejected.

A decade later, in 1760, the Capuchin foundation took place in its definitive location, which has been maintained to the present day. This was on a small hill a few hundred metres from the town, known at that time as Las Peñetas. This work was sponsored by D. Antonio Solanas and Dña. María Jimeno, natives of Calanda although residents of Zaragoza. They were portrayed holding the building in their hands as donors to the convent, in a painting that hung on the walls of the parish sacristy until 1936. To celebrate the foundation and establishment of the friars, the poet Sor Luisa Herrero composed a dance in honour of San Miguel and the Blessed Sacrament.

Little is known about the original appearance of this convent. According to Mosén Vicente, it was the best Capuchin convent in the province. It was dedicated to Sant Antonio de Padua. Among its chapels, the one dedicated to Sant Serafín stood out for its size and sumptuousness. The community was made up of twelve friar priests, one choir member, four laymen and four donated friars, making a total of 21 people.

By an agreement of 1767, the religious priests were buried in their own convent and the rest in the room of the Blessed Sacrament in the parish church.

In 1835, only 85 years after its foundation, the convent was disentailed and bought that same year by the town council. A period of abandonment began for the building, as well as different uses that did not guarantee its conservation. Part of its assets passed to the church, the Pilar and the chapels of Sant Blas and Sant Bárbara.

In 1912, under the direction of Joaquín Fortón and Justa Cascajares, the convent was refurbished for religious use. This reform changed the appearance of the building. Once the convent was refurbished, the Carmelite Fathers moved in. On 24 November 1911, the new chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was blessed and the first mass was celebrated by Father Gerardo. On 19 July 1912, the new church, now completely finished, was blessed by the Provincial Father Fray Bernardino.

This foundation was short-lived, and the Carmelites left the convent on 12 November 1921. During this short but intense period, the relationship between the Carmelites and the town was close. In the old altarpiece of Santa Ana in the church, the titular image was replaced by the Virgen del Carmen, and the corresponding confraternity was founded. Two other altarpieces were also placed, one of Saint Teresa and the other of Saint Joseph. On the fourth Sunday of each month, solemn services were held for our Virgen del Carmen, in collaboration with the Association of the Infant Jesus of Prague, a devotion also characteristic of the Carmelite Order. Their participation in the religious life was evident in their presence in processions such as the Corpus Christi procession, burials, etc. They also established some primary schools for the youngest children.

In 1921 it passed to the Dominican Fathers who, on 8 September 1925, opened their Apostolic School in this convent, which until then had been established in Solsona (Lérida). During the inauguration, the local authorities were present and the ceremony was presided over by the Rt. Narciso Salazar, as well as Fray Luis M. Batlle, Fray Jacinto Ignacio Serrano, Fray Antonio Huguet and Fray Jesús Pascual. The donors of the convent, Mr. Joaquín Fortón and Mrs. Justa Cascajares, owners of the property, were also present.

The Civil War broke up on 27 July 1936, leaving them scattered around the area.  They were immediately arrested and martyred on 29 July on the road to Alcañiz, some five kilometres from the town. On this site there is now a monument that perpetuates their memory. They were: Lucio Martínez Mancebo (34 years old), Antonio López Couceiro (65 years old), Felicísimo Díez González (27 years old), Saturio Rey Robles (27 years old), Tirso Manrique Melero (59 years old), Gumersindo Soto Barrios (65 years old), Lamberto de Navascués y de Juan (25 years old). Along with this group, Mosén Manuel Albert, the last chaplain of El Pilar, was also martyred.

Days later, two friars who had managed to leave the village before the arrest and were trying to reach Zaragoza, were arrested in Castelserás. There they were martyred together with the local priest. They were: José María Muro Sanmiguel (30 years old) and Joaquín Prats Baltueña (21 years old).

On 11 March 2001 they were beatified by John Paul II, and their liturgical memorial was celebrated on 29 July.

After the Civil War, the community was re-established and remained active in the town until 1950, when the convent was definitively abandoned by the religious life.

Since then, the building has been used for various purposes, such as a residence for the workers of the Andorra Thermal Power Station, a farm, a temporary secondary school… Finally, in 1990, the town council took over the building and refurbished it as a cultural centre.

On 4 September 2008, it was declared BIC, Bien de Interés Cultural (Property of Cultural Interest), published on 24 September in the Official Gazette of Aragon. This declaration gives it the deserved recognition for its historical and artistic importance, being BIC the highest level of protection granted by the Government of Aragon.

On 14 December 2017, the son of Calanda Víctor Romero, Civil Guard in the line of duty, was sadly murdered. As a tribute, since 14 December 2018, it has been called Cultural Centre-Víctor Romero.

Autoría: Daniel Aguilar Sanz

Ya en la década de 1750, los padres de la Orden Capuchina buscaban un emplazamiento para fundar una casa conventual en Calanda. En un primer momento, estimaron ocupar la fundación femenina de Carmelitas Descalzas, que doña Sabina Maura había intentado impulsar aneja al templo del Pilar (ocuparía el actual espacio de la casa parroquial y otros aledaños). A su muerte, se paralizaron las obras por lo que las carmelitas nunca llegaron a Calanda.

Este interés en este emplazamiento es lógico, pues había un convento a medio construir con el consiguiente ahorro en costes de obra, estando además anexo al Pilar. Esto permitiría a los frailes tener un templo destacado donde realizar el culto divino, además de atender a los numerosos fieles y peregrinos. Por razones que aún se desconocen se desestimó esta localización.

Una década después en 1760 se produjo la fundación capuchina en su emplazamiento definitivo, que se ha mantenido hasta nuestros días. Esta fue en un pequeño cerro distante unos cientos de metros de la localidad, conocido por aquel entonces como las peñetas. Esta obra fue patrocinada por D. Antonio Solanas y Dña. María Jimeno, naturales de Calanda aunque residentes en Zaragoza. Estos aparecían retratados sosteniendo entre sus manos el edificio como donantes el convento, en un cuadro que colgó de las paredes de la sacristía parroquial hasta 1936. Para festejar la fundación y establecimiento de los frailes la poetisa Sor Luisa Herrero, compuso un dance en honor de San Miguel y el Santísimo Sacramento.

Poco sabemos acerca del primitivo aspecto de este convento. Según cita Mosén Vicente en sus Apuntes, era el mejor convento capuchino de la provincia. Estaba dedicado a San Antonio de Padua, teniendo una iglesia muy capaz de tres naves. Entre sus capillas destacaba la dedicada a San Serafín, por sus dimensiones y suntuosidad. La comunidad estaba compuesta por doce frailes sacerdotes, 1 corista, 4 legos y 4 donados, formando en total un grupo de 21 personas.

Por un acuerdo de 1767, los religiosos sacerdotes se enterraban en propio convento y el resto en el cuarto del Santísimo Sacramento de la Parroquia. Por cuarto debe entenderse algún espacio propio de la cofradía en el cementerio parroquial, pues según diversas visitas pastorales en la iglesia calandina no se realizaban enterramientos en el interior de esta, por no poseer nadie los derechos legítimos para ello.

En 1835, tras solamente trascurridos 85 años de la fundación el convento fue desamortizado, siendo comprado ese mismo año por el concejo de la villa. Comenzó para la construcción un periodo asociado al abandono, así como a diferentes usos que no garantizaron su conservación. Parte de sus bienes pasaron a la Parroquia, al Pilar y a las ermitas de San Blas y Santa Bárbara, como por ejemplo el retablo de la Purísima.

En 1912, a cargo de D. Joaquín Fortón y Dña. Justa Cascajares, el convento fue rehabilitado para uso religioso. Esta reforma cambió sustancialmente el aspecto de la construcción, como la reducción del templo de tres naves a una sola, entre otras. Reformado el convento pasaron a habitar en el mismo los padres carmelitas. El 24 de noviembre de 1911 se bendijo la nueva capilla del Santísimo y se celebró la primera misa por el padre Gerardo de la Asunción. El 19 de julio de 1912 se bendijo la nueva iglesia ya terminada al completo por el Padre Provincial Fray Bernardino.

Poco duró esta fundación, abandonando el convento los carmelitas el 12 de noviembre de 1921. Durante este periodo corto pero intenso, fue estrecha la relación de los carmelitas con la localidad. En el antiguo retablo de Santa Ana de la parroquia, la imagen titular fue sustituida por la Virgen del Carmen, fundándose además su correspondiente cofradía. Se colocaron además otros dos retablos, el de Santa Teresa y el de San José, santos propios de la orden. El cuarto domingo de cada mes se realizaban solemnes cultos a la Virgen del Carmen, en colaboración con la asociación del Niño Jesús de Praga, devoción también característica del Carmelo. Su participación en la vida religiosa calandina se hacía patente con su presencia en procesiones como la del Corpus, sepelios etc. Establecieron además algunas escuelas de primera enseñanza para los más pequeños.

Profesores y alumnos de la Escuela Apostólica.

En 1921 pasa a los Padres Dominicos que el 8 de septiembre de 1925 abren en este convento su Escuela Apostólica, que hasta entonces había estado establecida en Solsona (Lérida). Durante la inauguración estuvieron presentes las autoridades locales, presidido el acto por el Rvo. Padre Provincial fray Narciso Salazar, así como fray Luis M. Batlle, fray Jacinto Ignacio Serrano, fray Antonio Huguet y fray Jesús Pascual. Asistieron como no podría ser de otro modo los donantes del convento, D. Joaquín Fortón y Dña. Justa Cascajares, propietarios del inmueble.

Llegada la Guerra Civil y previendo la comunidad el peligro se disolvió el 27 de julio de 1936, quedando dispersos por la zona. Fueron inmediatamente detenidos y martirizados el día 29 de julio en la carretera de Alcañiz a unos cinco Km de la localidad. En este emplazamiento se encuentra hoy en día un sencillo monumento que perpetua su memoria. Fueron: Lucio Martínez Mancebo (34 años), Antonio López Couceiro (65 años), Felicísimo Díez González (27 años), Saturio Rey Robles (27 años), Tirso Manrique Melero (59 años), Gumersindo Soto Barrios (65 años), Lamberto de Navascués y de Juan (25 años). Junto a este grupo fue también martirizado Mosén Manuel Albert, último capellán del Pilar.

Días más tarde, dos frailes que habían conseguido salir del pueblo antes de la detención y pretendían llegar a Zaragoza, fueron detenidos en Castelserás. Allí fueron martirizados junto al sacerdote local. Fueron: José María Muro Sanmiguel (30 años) y Joaquín Prats Baltueña (21 años).

El 11 de marzo de 2001 fueron beatificados por Juan Pablo II, celebrándose su memoria litúrgica el 29 de julio.

Foto de grupo, tomada en 1931, en la segunda fila los mártires calandinos.

Pasada la contienda civil, se restableció la comunidad que estuvo activa en la localidad hasta 1950, cuando el convento fue abandonado definitivamente por la vida religiosa.

Desde entonces el edificio pasó a tener diversos usos, como residencia para los trabajadores de la Central Térmica de Andorra, granja, Instituto de Secundaria de forma temporal… Finalmente en 1990, el Ayuntamiento de la localidad se hizo cargo de este, rehabilitándolo para Casa de Cultura, por lo que se terminó de desfigurar la configuración espacial original.

El 4 de septiembre de 2008, fue declarado BIC, Bien de Interés Cultural, publicándose el 24 de septiembre en el Boletín Oficial de Aragón. Esta declaración le otorga el merecido reconocimiento por su importancia histórica y artística, siendo BIC el nivel más alto de protección que otorga el Gobierno de Aragón.

El 14 de diciembre de 2017, fue tristemente asesinado el hijo de Calanda Víctor Romero, Guardia Civil en acto de servicio. La villa en homenaje, le puso su nombre a este edificio, denominándose desde el 14 de diciembre de 2018, Casa de Cultura Víctor Romero.

Convento (1930)

© 2019 Grupo de estudios Calandinos.
© 2021 Textos y fotografías, sus autores.

Impactos: 91

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

dieciocho − 16 =